Wednesday, February 10, 2010

egg noodles

Recently, I wanted to fix some Stroganoff for supper. (It's a long story. But, whenever I hear a mention of food poisoning, I get hungry for Stroganoff. Sometimes, negative reinforcement doesn't work.) I had most of the ingredients, and the rest I could substitute for. But, I didn't have any egg noodles.
I remember that my grandmother used to make egg noodles and dry them over the backs of chairs. So, I decided to try.

Here's a basic recipe:
1 egg, beaten
1 c flour (plus more for kneading and to roll out the noodles)
1 c milk
1 T olive oil (or other cooking oil)
1/4 t salt
Mix all together. Knead on floured surface. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Roll thin.
Cut into strips with pizza cutter.
As the noodles dry, roll individual noodles again to get them thinner.
When dry, cook in boiling water to desired doneness.
(Unused noodles can be frozen.)

1 comment:

gracielynn's said...

egg noodles w/milk ? wow.. I have never seen that before..
I use one 2 one with flour & eggs.. a bit of water & a dash of salt.. will have to try your milk in the recipe next time.
lisa